Part of being a doula means being prepared for any situation and having all the tools available should I need them. Having my birth bag fully stocked and prepared for any type of birth setting can also help labouring parents minimize what they need to pack for the hospital or birth centre.
Here are some of the many goodies I like to pack for a birth;
- Portable ice bin – to carry cold cloths or have ice chips on hand
- Flameless candles – these are nice to have in the shower or tub
- Bluetooth speaker – sometimes having music can calm the environment
- Hair ties and bobby pins – because hair gets in the way
- Lipchap – deep labouring breaths in and out can cause dry lips
- Breath mints – for support people
- Rice bag – can be warmed in the microwave
- Massage oil – non-scented for relaxation
- Labour link rope – helps with the pushing stage and squatting
- Massage roller – for a good lower back massage
- Paperfan – a nice breeze of air when things get heated
- Camera – if you want to capture some precious moments
- Honeysticks – quick fast hospital-approved snack for a boost of energy
These are only a few of the items I like to have on hand for any given birth scenario. I bring the things that labouring couples may not think to bring so they can focus on bringing their baby earthside.